Three of Ghosts (ex-Gravedigger) - par Waits In Grave - 2022

Qui dit nouvelle semaine, dit nouveau KD:M-Like ! Mais Three of Ghosts (ex-Gravedigger) semble se dégager de l’influence de son modèle par sa propre personnalité et son propre univers avec son style dark science fantasy. Faut dire que l’homme derrière ce projet se nomme Sam Lamont, illustrateur-designer gallois, qui bosse entre autres pour Games Workshop (Total War: Warhammer) et FFG (Arkham Horror LCG). Gravedigger est un projet en cours de développement et qui se définit comme un cooperative dark-fi survival horror experience… A noter que des figurines résines 45-50mm sont déjà en vente sur le webstore.

Gravedigger is a mythic, fragmented, dark-fi setting. Uncover the history of Dais through a series of upcoming games and books.

The gravedigger covens embark on expeditions into the yawning mouths of tombsites. Sometimes they return with fossilised technology, alchemical secrets and, most valuable of all, cryptal fragments taken from books or archaic terminals.

But most don’t return at all.

Gravedigger is a cooperative survival horror game. Embark on expeditions into the unforgiving tombsites of Dais exploring and unearthing its past. Navigate a twisting network of living caves and technological ruins. Discover and confront bizarre flora and fauna. Uncover the secrets of the tombsite and upload your findings to the prismatic tarot.

Pledges : ?
Frais de port : ?

Autres liens : Gravedigger

1 « J'aime »

Photo des figurines et du matériel

Article traduit tiré de Beasts of War

Sam Lamont, de Waits In Graves, est l’artiste et le concepteur d’un nouveau jeu coopératif Dark-Fi appelé Gravedigger. Alors que le jeu lui-même est encore en cours de développement, les figurines sont maintenant disponibles sur leur boutique en ligne et elles sont assez étonnantes.

Chacune des figurines semble arriver à une hauteurs allant de 45 mm à 50 mm pour l’une des plus grandes créatures que vous verrez plus tard. Toutes les figurines ont été sculptées par les Gravedigger Ghosts et produit par Matt Hobday et Goya Games.

Les détails de ces figurines en résine sont assez étonnants et elles sont montées sur ces bases à l’aspect exquis qui vous plongent vraiment dans l’étrange esthétique Sci-Fi du monde de Gravedigger.

Voici un aperçu des informations que l’équipe de Waits In Graves a ajouté à sa boutique en ligne…

« Gravedigger is a mythic, fragmented, dark-fi setting. Uncover the history of Dais through a series of upcoming games and books. »

Cela semble vraiment différent et cela pourrait être très amusant de plonger plus profondément dans ce monde pour voir de quoi il s’agit.

« The gravedigger covens embark on expeditions into the yawning mouths of tombsites. Sometimes they return with fossilised technology, alchemical secrets and, most valuable of all, cryptal fragments taken from books or archaic terminals. But most don’t return at all. »

Le jeu Gravedigger se transforme alors en une expérience coopérative de survie et d’horreur où vous allez explorer tout en affrontant des choses terribles dans l’obscurité. Tout cela me semble brillant et ne ressemble à rien de ce qui existe sur le marché en ce moment.

Comme vous l’aurez également remarqué, il y a ici une variété de personnages intéressants qui sont armés de fusils massifs, d’énormes épées qui ressemblent à une paire de ciseaux et de personnages magiques qui sont capables de puiser dans un certain pouvoir de eldritch. Vous avez même ce type, le Needler !

Pour l’instant, la gamme semble être assez limitée, mais si vous aimez l’aspect de ces miniatures finement travaillées, vous pouvez vous rendre sur la boutique en ligne de Gravedigger et commencer à explorer ce qu’elles ont à offrir.

Nous allons certainement garder un œil sur celui-ci car il pourrait y avoir un jeu fascinant à explorer aux côtés de ces personnages !

Introduction à l’univers

GRAVEFIELDS

After the Flood, the graves appeared. One for each life lost they say. Great markers wired into the earth, whirring with desperate purpose.

GRAVE ARTIFICERS

They arrive with the storms. Lightning and smoke billowing from slackened mouths, those screaming, slender giants, and in their wake the graves appear.

GRAVEDIGGERS

Inside the warping wreckage of the Flood, forgotten under miles of corpse bloom, everything we knew buried in an instant.

We all feel the pull downwards, the scraping need to remember. It’s inevitable, I suppose, that there are those who would profit from this slow restoration.

THE FRUIT OF OLD HEAVEN

Hedelens Gate, Takesh, Ullith, everyone accepts history as currency such is its worth. Rusted weapons, glittering diamond coins, ancient navigational tools, all priceless. Cryptal fragments unearthed from Dais’ brutal substrata.

Under the inscrutable, calculating eyes of the Covens the gravediggers descend into the pitch-black tombsites to retrieve what they can.

DAGGERMEN

We lost them three days back, the rest of the clan. Their halos were still transmitting but no audio after the screaming stopped. Not my idea to go back for them, but I went anyway. Guilt I guess. We knew the chances weren’t good, the halos had stopped moving hours ago, but we rounded the corner and there they were, stood, completely still. Later we realised, posed.

And next to them, frozen for a second in our torchlight, copying the dead’s posture as best it could with its glistening legs, a nightmare.

3 « J'aime »

KDM-like c’est devenu le nouveau truc à la mode… Primal Awakening, Townsfolk Tussle, Santokushin, ça…

1 « J'aime »

a suivre, mais ce que je vois me plais beaucoup

:black_flag:

Les artworks sont vraiment beau, à suivre.

C’est assez drôle :slight_smile:

1 « J'aime »

oui, j’ai tilté sur la même chose :smiley:

Il a pas tort, personne n’avait encore osé du texte rouge sur un fond jaune :dizzy_face:
Entre les couleurs flashy (pas très dark tout ça) et les textes rouge en tout petit, ils doivent avoir des actions chez Krys ou Afflelou. Tout ça pour dire que je suis pas fan de la DA ^^

1 « J'aime »

A suivre en effet

Très intriguant cette DA. A suivre !

:face_with_monocle: :black_flag:

Un concept art pour Grekkish Fusilier

Le concept art pour la Gutter Wych

Et celui pour Moedyr Needler

Un petit dernier pour Bahali Paladin et son Mute Threader

3 « J'aime »

Bon, un petit planté de drapeau et on ira prendre un bon verre de vin chaud ensuite

Nouvelle illustration

THE FRUIT OF OLD HEAVEN

Hedelens Gate, Takesh, Ullith, everyone accepts history as currency such is its worth. Rusted weapons, glittering diamond coins, ancient navigational tools, all priceless. Cryptal fragments unearthed from Dais’ brutal substrata.

Under the inscrutable, calculating eyes of the Covens the gravediggers descend into the pitch-black tombsites to retrieve what they can.

4 « J'aime »

Premier article sur le gameplay ou les choix qui ont été fait depuis les premiers protos

New blog post about the development history of the game!

https://www.gravedigger.site/news/tarotcom001?fbclid=IwAR2JXEl_XfoPtWZ7P2M485P6zmmhPeA5KGYQ5i84QF7plo5PEFQdqHPpCTc

Gravedigger Tarot Communication 001

DEVELOPING THE GAME

Hey everyone. Welcome to the first Gravedigger Tarot Communication. I wanted to take the opportunity to talk about the game: specifically to show how the combat in the game has changed over the last few years.

My first prototypes used a card based, programming style resolution system with a few goals in mind:

• The Character Sheet: I wanted the Gravediggers to have a large suite of abilities. These abilities would be tied to limited resources forcing you to make hard decisions about when to use them.
  • The Initiative System: I wanted you to make your plans, and then watch them resolve. Each ability was assigned an initiative value, with low numbers resolving earlier and high numbers resolving later (ties being broken by the abilities ‘Suit’). Enemy actions also used this system weaving in amongst the Gravediggers turn.
  • The Ego Deck: I wanted to mitigate bad luck, making failure rarer but more meaningful, and so I replaced dice with a deck of cards. Cards could be added to this deck to represent the things happening to your Gravedigger during the descent, adding a minus due to an injury, or a high number due to being well prepared.
  • The Threat System: I wanted to get rid of the idea of ‘wounds’. With abilities adding ‘Threat’ instead of dealing incremental damage. This was an attempt to represent bullets and swords flying around until one eventually landed. Threat could be reduced/mitigated/transferred between Gravediggers and enemies.

View fullsize

An early Gutter Wych character sheet.

An early Gutter Wych character sheet.

View fullsize

The Fusilier in a later ‘trimmed’ version of the design.

The Fusilier in a later ‘trimmed’ version of the design.

6.png

9.png

10.png

13.png

I worked on this system for around two years before I ended up giving up on it and going with something much more traditional (a simple dice + modifier) but I thought it would be interesting to talk about why I think each of these intentions failed.

• Survival Horror: The top reason for my ditching these systems was it just didn’t evoke survival or horror. You had far too much control over your character, and spent more time micromanaging the various mechanics on the sheet than dealing with the enemies. The resource management was hard to parse as it was difficult to gauge how long you had to make your resources last. Choosing between the myriad of actions, and discussing how to synergise with the other players took waaay too long. The system was interesting and tactical, but it lacked the immediacy of a good survival horror game.
  • Solved Turns: The plethora of abilities/combinations were mostly reduced down to one or two combos that you would do over and over, meaning all that a lot of the time, all that complexity was just bloat. Coupled with the fact that your abilities always ‘hit’ and always dealt the same amount of Threat meant turns could be solved, severely limiting your choices.
  • Lack of Exciting/Crushing Moments: This was a big one too. The lack of dice meant that the sting of rolling a one, or high of rolling a critical at just the right/wrong moment was gone. Drawing from the deck just didn’t feel the same, was far too consistent, and lacked the tension that dice bring.
  • ‘Bad Luck’ Wasn’t The Issue: Over time it slowly dawned on me (with great horror as I’d invested so much time in this system) that dice, luck and seemingly limited choices might actually be the exact things I needed to evoke the feelings of terror and elation I wanted. I realised that failing wasn’t an issue if failing was as interesting as succeeding.

View fullsize

Gutter Wych from a later prototype. This version still used the Ego Deck instead of dice.

Gutter Wych from a later prototype. This version still used the Ego Deck instead of dice.

View fullsize

A similarly updated Fusilier from a later prototype.

A similarly updated Fusilier from a later prototype.

There was probably around four or five other, completely different versions of the game I designed after this as I struggled to find what I wanted out of the game. In a lot of ways it was incredibly hard to admit I had completely misunderstood my own feelings on what I liked and didn’t like, but I always want to be focused on the mood and atmosphere of the games I make, and for me making sure that the mechanics fit the setting is far more important than proving I can make a unique combat system.

With the latest version I went back to some of my original notes for what I wanted the game to be. Stripping it all back into something leaner and more immediate, and taking lessons from Powered By The Apocalypse games such as Blades in the Dark and Heart about how to manage failure in an interesting way whilst embracing the randomness and excitement of dice.

Thanks to those of you who read this far, next time I’m excited to show you more current development work, and hopefully give a better idea of what you will actually be doing in the game!

-Sam

2 « J'aime »

Voilà quelques news pour ce projets. Plus d’un an sans plus aucune info mais c’était pour mieux repartir. Entre temps, il y a eu un changement de titre, Gravedigger a été remplacé par Three of Ghosts, et du coup changement de site internet. Mais Sam Lamont n’a pas trop chômé entre temps puis qu’il revient avec une version proto du jeu en WIP.

Ghost Tarot Communication 002

Ghost Tarot Communication 002

DAIS AND ITS TOMBSITES

Hello everyone. In this update I wanted to show you some of the world Three of Ghosts takes place in: Dais.

Here is a brief overview of some of the points of interest around the first Tombsite you will be visiting.

Hedelens Gate

A FORTRESS CITY, DESTROYED AND REBUILT A HUNDRED TIMES. NOW IT STANDS AS A BRISTLING WALL, HOLDING OUT THE HORRORS OF DAIS, BUT SUCH POWER COMES AT A TERRIBLE COST.

HEDELENS GATE

Subterranean Kyokish Forest.jpg

KYOKISH TREE. WALKING WOODS.

IT HAS MANY NAMES. IN THEIR VINES AN ORGANIC ALCHEMICAL PROCESS TRANSMUTES LODDICKS LIGHT INTO HEAVY SHADOW.

SUBTERRANEAN KYOKISH FOREST

small.jpg

AFTER THE FLOOD, THE GRAVES APPEARED,

ONE FOR EACH LIFE LOST THEY SAY. GREAT MARKERS

WIRED INTO THE EARTH, WHIRRING WITH DESPERATE PURPOSE.

GRAVEFIELDS

word trap

IT CAUGHT THEIR EYES ONLY FOR A SECOND. SPIRALLING INTO ITS CENTRE THEY STARED WITH SLACKENED MOUTHS. THE SOFT HUM OF MACHINERY SPINNING A SEDUCTIVE MACRO, ITS READERS STARVING TO DEATH.

WORD TRAP

Ghost Tarot Communication 003

Ghost Tarot Communication 003

UPDATE CONTENTS

• New packaging/shipping/stock update
  • Upcoming miniatures
    • Harbus
    • Raptured Lumpwasp
    • Moedyr Broodesh Heavy
  • Small game prototype update

PRODUCTION

Firstly, the miniatures are finally back in stock. It’s been a bit of a slog getting them back up for sale due to various factors (Covid, Brexit, shipping crisis). I also wanted a bespoke box to ship the miniatures in and that has been quite a long process.

UPCOMING MINIATURES

Below are a few of the new miniatures in the pipeline. No estimate on when these will be in the store yet, though I’m hoping it wont be too long.

First off, the Bahali Harbus. She will also come with a companion like the Paladin:

harbus.jpg

The first Tombsite inhabitant, the Raptured Lumpwasp:

This guy will come on a newly designed 70mm Aurbits base so he’s pretty big!:

Next a very ‘work in progress’ shot of the Moedyr Broodesh. She’s armed with a massive wire-missile launcher and manipulator rig and will also fit on the new 70mm base so again a pretty large model:

And finally here’s a couple of shots of the current prototype for the game. Still got a ways to go but it is slowly taking shape:

1 « J'aime »