Hellboy RPG - Livraison mai 2021 - Mantic Games

Mantic vient d’annoncer une future campagne KS pour un JDR sur Hellboy !

L’annonce : Hellboy: The Roleplaying Game
La page KS : https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/manticgames/hellboy-the-next-chapter

Les pledges :
10£ les pdf
30£ la version collector
75£ le pack avec écran, dés et un sac
95£ la version avec figurines

Frais de port : entre 10 et 14£ en fonction du pledge

Mise à part que le couv serait l’illustration exclusive de la boîte KS du jeu de plateau, on sait juste qu’il sera basé sur DD5 et developpé par Red Scar (je ne les connais pas) !

C’est intriguant, et même si il y largement de quoi s’amuser avec un BPRD RPG, j’ai un peu peur que les groupes de PJ se transforment en Freaks show !

L

C’est clair qu’un RPG Hellboy avec la mécanique de DD5, ça fait peur en effet.
Exactement comme pour le Seigneur des Anneaux. Tu perds tout le sel des univers quant c’est contrôlé par un système générique.
En plus, pour un KS, ils auraient pu/du en profiter pour réfléchir et créer une mécanique qui rende justice à Hellboy.
Pour le Freak Show, attends de voir le manuel des monstres ! :sweat_smile:

Sauver le monde à chaque scénario, tout un programme !
J’adore l’univers de Mignola, mais je ne suis pas sûr d’avoir envie d’y jouer :slight_smile:

Encore que pour le Seigneur des Anneaux, Il y avait The One Ring (qui existe en VF sous le nom l’Anneau Unique, incroyable, hein?) qui lui pour le coup avait un système dédié et bien plus cohérent (même si plutot particulier) par rapport a ce qu’il essayait d’émuler (une seule aventure par année pour les persos, grosse emphase sur le voyage, évolution lente et plus basée sur la reconnaissance par les autres peuples), et qui a été adapté en DD5 parce que, voila, fallait rentabiliser la licence. Mais au moins cette sortie n’avait pas arréter la précédente gamme ou orienter les nouvelles productions.

Pour Hellboy, le DD5 ne colle pas, y a pas d’alternative, bref, ça fait chier.

va faire un tour sur Casus No tu trouveras plein de gars qui te donneront des idées de nouveaux systèmes vachement mieux (généralement le dernier à système à la mode) qui ne nécessite qu’« un de taf » pour faire jouer du Hellboy ! :grinning:

Plus sérieusement, si toute la partie bakground tiens la route ça peut être intéressant à lire. On verra le prix du pdf et je rêve un peu je pense mais si on pouvait avoir des illustrations originales :heart_eyes:

Pour SDA, le coda system de Decipher à l’époque de la sortie de la trilogie en films était pas mal. Largement beaucoup moins lourd que celui de MERP/Rolemaster. En revanche, pour The One Ring, je n’y ai pas joué.

RDV le 19 Août sur KS du coup

Coming to Kickstarter August 19th. Create your agent and join the B.P.R.D.

Le KS est lancé : Hellboy: The Roleplaying Game by Mantic Games — Kickstarter

j’ai mis à jour le premier post avec les différents niveaux de pledge.

Il y a un plusieurs niveaux de pledge, dont un avec les figurines de la boîte de base du jeu de plateau. Je vais jeter un oeil au Quickstart.

1 « J'aime »

Pas de VF de prévue par contre :confused: Si jamais quelqu’un pledge en IDF, je me tâterai à prendre juste un pack de fig en add-on, ça me fera quelque chose de sympa pour me mettre à la peinture !

Le Late Pledge est ouvert sur… Gamefound.

A l’heure où pour les extension du boardgame va sortir, une review de Geek Native sur le RPG vient de sortir…

Phew. I backed Mantic Games and Red Scar’s Hellboy RPG on Kickstarter and am pleased with the output.

Hellboy The Roleplaying Game

I’m a big Hellboy fan; I liked even the last movie, despite its flaws. While this is a review of the PDF edition, I have a Collector’s Edition Book due to my supporters’ tier scheduled to arrive next month.

My fear was that this RPG wouldn’t feel like Hellboy. It does. It doesn’t feel like Dungeons & Dragons’ 5th edition, though. One new rule is responsible for that, and we’ll get on to that gamer changer in just a bit.

I want first to say that while I’m giving the Hellboy RPG the thumbs up that I feel this title could have had, perhaps should have had, two thumbs.

Hellboy isn’t just great storytelling, it’s a visual treat from Mike Mignola, and there is surprisingly little art in the book given that. I’m not saying Hellboy is light on art. I’m saying there should have been more.

There are no hero images. Some chapters begin with a full-page illustration, but all other art fits perfectly across the two-column layout. There are no images with curves, no close-ups of the delightful horrors from Mignola’s mind. Most frustratingly, the bestiary isn’t fully illustrated. Given that each monster has been drawn already, their omission is disappointing.

Dungeons & Doom

I said that this 5e-powered RPG doesn’t feel like D&D. That’s not because of the modern setting, the swapping of experience points with milestones or Robert Schwalb’s initiative system.

The difference is due to the Doom and Ingenuity rules.

Any time a player character makes an ability check, attack roll, saving throw, or has an outcome decided by the roll of a d20, the player also rolls a single d10.

That’s the rule. Hellboy feels different in your hand to D&D. The dice are different. Each time you roll, there’s a %10 chance of scoring either a Doom or Ingeunity point.

When you have Ingeunity points, you can use them on rerolls, reduce damage, boost initiative, stabilise creatures, and activate powers. When you earn an Ingenuity point, you have the option of saving it or using it straight away, and the choice you make then also matters. Furthermore, these dice explode, values adding and stacking to create some spectacular in-game moments.

Doom, a concept appropriate to Hellboy, is nearly the opposite and works against the PCs. Doom doesn’t always come from dice. The advancing plot can generate it or when characters spend 10 minutes extra to be thorough. For example, if 3 agents spend 10 additional minutes searching a room for clues, just to make sure, that generates 3 Doom. It’s a rule that encourages players to take Hellboy-like decisive action.

There’s one other set of rules that, while not as remarkable as Ingenuity and Doom, also have a noticeable impact on the feel of the Hellboy gameplay. Those rules are for Backup Agents.

In Hellboy, PCs are part (if only by assignment) of the B.P.R.D, and the B.P.R.D. has resources to help. In a game where a phone call can summon support before the climactic scene against the big bad, rules for backup are welcomed.

It feels harsh, but much of the rest of the rules are the expected reskinning of D&D 5e for a contemporary setting. Classes become Roles, Races become Origins, and we get Feat, Equipment and Skills as appropriate.

You do need a copy of the Players Guide to fill in the blanks.

Hellboy RPG layout example

Presentation

You’ve read my grumble about art, but mostly the layout is fine.

The same is true with the flow and structure. The order makes sense, starting with character generation, flowing then into the changes, the basics of the fifth edition, the new rules, combat, how to run a game, magic, monsters and then a sample adventure.

The font is clear and easy to read. There’s no chance of getting lost in weird sub-page divides. However, I do wish the headings were more clearly delimited from the sub-headings in the Origins chapter. At times, and maybe this is just because I’m stupid, it wasn’t immediately clear whether I was reading a new Origin type or a sub-type. For example, Demons are a classification within The Cursed Origin, not their own standout.

Hellboy isn’t a fat RPG. It’s 246 or so pages, so under 300 pages, and that’s despite raising £350,000+ on Kickstarter. It’s just strange to see so much text around Hellboy art.

The Hellboy-verse

Importantly, the writing team know and get Hellboy.

I was surprised to get a multi-page introductory essay at the start of this RPG. I don’t even know if it’s necessary. But I enjoyed it.

If I was the teacher who had handed out the assignment to discuss the Hellboy-verse then I’d be using the green marker pen and putting ticks of agreement all over it.

There are Nazis in the Hellboy-verse. Heck, Hellboy himself was summoned by them. While there are obviously shades of grey here (a demon fighting for humanity?) Mantic and Red Scar are refreshingly, amazingly, upfront and accurate about Nazis.

My favourite sidebar in the whole RPG says;

A quick note on nazis

Hellboy faces Nazis in several of his adventures. In the world of Hellboy, pockets of Nazi evil hold out in the remote places of the world (or in space…which is very remote) before trying once more to plunge the planet into chaos and war. Hellboy, the B.P.R.D., and this game have one response to Nazis. It’s to punch them, very very hard, in the face. And then do it again just to be sure. If you’ve got the Right Hand of Doom, and you can use it to punch a Nazi in the face, you do it as hard and as often as possible.

Overall

Yes, it’s a Fifth edition powered Hellboy RPG. No, it doesn’t feel like D&D at all. Not to me, anyway.

Most things would benefit from more Mike Mignola art. It’s a shame that we don’t get more of it here. A Hellboy RPG that also doubled up as an effective bestiary of Mignola-monsters would have been an absolute treasure.

I recommend the Hellboy RPG to everyone except 5e haters.

While I’ll defend the statement “it doesn’t feel like D&D at all”, I don’t think even the Right Hand of Doom is enough to persuade people who dislike 5e because it’s 5e that this game is any different.

Otherwise, I think the Hellboy RPG is an excellent purchase for any Hellboy fan. I think it’s an incredibly compelling purchase for anyone who’s come into RPGs via 5e and are cautious but willing about branching out to new systems.

However, Hellboy isn’t out yet. The quickstart is available, but we’ll have to wait for the core books to hit stores, even in PDF form.

Quick Links

1 « J'aime »

Quelques news au sujet de celui-ci…

Nightfall Games have partnered with Mantic to produce the Hellboy RPG.

Hellboy

The 5e-powered tabletop RPG will be available from Nightfall at Dragonmeet this weekend, along with the dice and GM screens. The PDFs of the game will move to Nightfall’s virtual shelves at DriveThruRPG.

Nightfall will create a discounted Hellboy RPG bundle and work with Mantic Games on new Hellboy RPG products. The companies will also combine forces on the upcoming Korhonen series, B.P.R.D. cases written by Benn Graybeaton and previous Hellboy RPG contributors.

Mark Rapson, the Managing Director at Nightfall Games, told the press;

I have long been an admirer of Mantic Games, their people and products and a long time fan of everything Hellboy. To be able to be part of getting ‘Hellboy RPG’ out to the roleplaying community is a great honour for Nightfall Games.”

Ronnie Renton, Mantic’s CEO, added;

Hellboy has a great cast of characters, diverse locations and legendary monsters from the pages of folklore and myth. The comics provide a fantastic foundation on which to build an immersive, fun and fast paced Role-Playing Game that will let players experience some of their favourite moments from the series and also create whole new adventures of their own. We are excited to be working with Nightfall Games to get our products out to the RPG community”

Hellboy characters

Hellboy isn’t the only RPG Nightfall added to their care this year. The SLA Industries and Terminator publisher secured the supernatural SINS RPG, also offering a bundle deal at that time. SINS’ core rules is currently the hottest Nightfall title at DriveThruRPG.

Y’a des gens qui ont lu / joué ?