The Elders Scrolls - par Modiphius

Pour les fanboy, un jeu d’escarmouche nommé Elder Scrolls Call to Arms qui reprend le système de Fallout Wasteland Warfare et avec Mark Latham aux manettes, ce qui ne me rassure pas perso.

Le jeu est prévu pour Noël.

Autres liens : La page chez Modiphius

Ah sympathique, apres meme si curieux de voir plus de figs peut de chance d’en etre moi meme. J’ai deja Fallout sur le feu.

Les jeux à licence comme ça n’ont vraiment aucun sens … :slight_smile:
Combien vont vraiment jouer au jeu? Quand on voit comment c’est compliqué de lancer ce genre de jeu et que ça tienne dans le temps, c’est clairement pour du one shot qui n’aura aucun avenir.

Je sais pas, fallout marche plutot bien et tend a se developper, y a pas mal de gens qui y jouent en magasin facon x wing.
Je dis pas que ce sera le cas de skyrim hein, mais bon.

Legion Distribution, encore et toujours, à la UKGE

De passage chez MODIPHIUS où on a eu une longue discussion sur Fallout, Elder Scroll et plein d’autres projets qui j’espère vont très vite se concrétiser (le tout en français).

En attendant voilà un petit aperçu des figurines de Elder Scroll.

[attachment file=471070]
[attachment file=471071]
[attachment file=471072]
[attachment file=471073]
[attachment file=471074]

J’ai bien du mal à imaginer l’intérêt de faire un vf boutique d’un jeu comme ça je dois avouer…

Je trouve pas ca plus déconnant que fallout.

Les jeux à licence comme ça n’ont vraiment aucun sens … :slightly_smiling_face:

Combien vont vraiment jouer au jeu? Quand on voit comment c’est compliqué de lancer ce genre de jeu et que ça tienne dans le temps, c’est clairement pour du one shot qui n’aura aucun avenir.

Bah le type derrière le jeu, si je ne me trompe pas, c’est celui qui a fait Harry Potter. Si c’est du même niveau, ça n’augure pas vraiment du bon… (note que je n’ai pas joué à harry potter, je n’en ai jamais trouvé le courage). Du coup ça serait effectivement juste pour la license…

Oui c’est celui qui a fait Harry Potter. Mais d’autres jeux aussi. Beasts of War a publié une interview de lui hier.

Mark A. Latham is a writer, editor, history nerd, frustrated grunge singer and amateur baker from Staffordshire, UK. A recent immigrant to rural Nottinghamshire, he lives in a very old house (sadly not haunted), and is still regarded in the village as a foreigner. Formerly the editor of Games Workshop’s White Dwarf magazine, Mark still designs tabletop games (Chosen Men, The Walking Dead: All Out War, The Elder Scrolls: Call to Arms), as well as being an author of fantastical and macabre tales. His Apollonian Casefiles and Sherlock Holmes novels are published by Titan Books.

Visit Mark’s blog at thelostvictorian.blogspot.co.uk or follow him on Twitter @aLostVictorian.

Sam: How did you first get started in tabletop gaming? What were some of the early games that inspired you?

Mark: I started gaming really early on. I think it was the TV ad for Heroquest that really grabbed me. I played that game plus Space Crusade to death, and got heavily into tabletop RPGs about the same time. I was always fascinated by miniatures, and my friends and I used to scour the blister racks at our local gaming store for models to use in our roleplaying games – I remember using minis and floor plans even when we didn’t need to, just because we loved them. That old store was not a welcoming place for youngsters (it was more a biker hangout than FLGS), so when Games Workshop opened a store in our home town, that’s when we really embraced wargaming. I still love Rogue Trader and 4th ed Warhammer to this day.

S: At one point you were the editor of White Dwarf Magazine. How did you come to find yourself in that job and what was your experience like?

M: It was such a crazy ride. When I was a kid reading White Dwarf, when Robin Dews was the editor, I literally decided I wanted to be the White Dwarf editor when I was older… I set out with that single-minded ambition! I worked part time at a GW store while I was at uni studying English. I applied for a job as a staff writer on Battle Games in Middle-earth (the LOTR part work by DeAgostini), and three years later I was the editor of that title. When it came to the end of the run, White Dwarf was undergoing a massive revamp, completely changing the way it was designed, and centralising the team in the Design Studio so that there was no more ‘regional’ White Dwarf in each country. I went for the new Deputy Editor job working under Guy Haley and got that, then took over when he left, later becoming managing editor of White Dwarf and web content. I think I’m still the second or third longest-serving editor. It taught me a lot about managing deadlines and team working. It was simultaneously the most stressful and best job ever…

S: What sort of stages go into setting out a monthly magazine like that? Was there a lot of different aspects to juggle, or did you usually have a unified idea of what you wanted in a specific issue?

M: I learned the ropes on a fortnightly part work, so the deadlines weren’t a problem. In fact, for the first time in White Dwarf history we went about three years without missing our deadlines. Tight ship, and all that. The main issues were working so far in advance of studio releases – we had to get multiple departments working in unison, and sign-off from all the head honchos well in advance. Once we had an issue plan, the guys in the White Dwarf Bunker were notorious for executing it come hell or high water.

S: How did you go from editor to full time writer and games designer?

M: Ever since I was a kid I liked tinkering with game rules, and one of the first things I did when I started working at GW was chat to Rob Broom, head of the now-defunct Warhammer Historical. He gave me a crack at adapting a game for them freelance, called Legends of the Old West, and it really all spiraled from there.

I’ve been designing games alongside editing for my entire working life. I think what really took me to the next level was post-White Dwarf, when I moved to games dev. I was an editor, but I was working so closely with such a talented team, on so many projects… When you’re working every day with people like Jervis Johnson, it’s hard not to pick up some very useful tips and tricks!

S: You have worked on a lot of historical games, with titles like Chosen Men. What draws you to these historical periods?

M: I started with the Old West game purely out of personal interest. I absolutely love nineteenth century history, from matinee westerns to Sherlock Holmes books. I tried joining a few historical gaming clubs in my late teens, and was hugely put off by just how opaque the rules often were, and how hard it was to break into the community. So I set about trying to bring some cinematic flair to the games – Legends of the Old West is really the game of the movies rather than a historical simulation. Trafalgar is more ‘Master and Commander’ than ‘Signal, Close Action’. Waterloo was loosely based on the War of the Ring game, so it’s all about sweeping manoeuvres and grand strategies, and so on. I think I’ve developed my own style over the years – I like to innovate with specific game mechanics, but people generally know what kind of ‘feel’ they’re going to get from a Mark Latham game. I’m not done with historical games yet, so watch this space.

S: What is it like to work on an established IP like Harry Potter, or The Walking Dead when compared to coming up with a game from scratch? What sort of things do you have to keep in mind?

M: I always start from the top down, and ask myself what fans of the property will expect from the game. I tend to come up with a list of absolute ‘givens’, work out how the game should flow, and then retrofit mechanics to reflect those ideas. I was asked recently if there are any similarities in the way I approach novels and the way I approach games, and the answer was ‘yes’ – I’m telling a story either way, whether it’s a 300-page novel or a 90-minute game. Only when you know the story can you start the actual job of writing. You also have the licensing side of the project to consider – you can be as careful as you want in faithfully representing a licence on the tabletop, but there’ll always be some curveballs that you weren’t aware of. You have to be flexible when working on big licences – a games designer who’s too precious won’t last five minutes when a big movie studio starts reviewing their work!

S: Your latest title is of course The Elder Scrolls: Call to Arms from Modiphius. Did you have much of a history with the Elder Scrolls series before?

A long history! I recently did one of those ‘favourite video games’ lists on Twitter, and Skyrim is genuinely in my top three of all time. I’ve played every game in the series since Daggerfall, and it was me who bent Chris Birch’s ear for the lead design job. I was working with Modiphius already, and it just felt like fate that they’d acquired one of my favourite licences, so I couldn’t let that one get away. (It’s mine… My preciousss…)

S: The game uses the Fallout: Wasteland Warfare mechanics. Did these need much re-tweaking to fit with Elder Scrolls? What were some of the big things you had to change?

M: Players of F:WW will be familiar with the core Skill Test/Effect Dice mechanic, but a lot has been changed in the design process to accommodate the fantasy setting. Right off the bat, we wanted this idea of adventuring parties, with heroes leading their followers into monster-infested dungeons. So what we have is this system of customisable heroes, with a bunch of henchmen under their command, fighting each other while the wandering monsters of Tamriel ‘spawn’ around you and get stuck in! We’ve streamlined the searching mechanics, so players can hunt for magical items in treasure chests and immediately get stuck in using them. There’s a full magic and Dragon Shouts system, a simple ‘leveling up’ mechanic, lots of Perks… We could have just done a really simple re-skin I guess, but instead we’ve really gone to town so that fans of both franchises get a tailored experience.

S: What are the most important characteristics of Elder Scrolls you want to bring to the tabletop?

M: Tamriel is such a rich setting, with some really well defined and developed races, characters and factions. We wanted the factions of Tamriel to all feel different from each other, so Imperials play differently from Stormcloaks, and so on. But of course you can also play a party of Adventurers – small and elite, but individually more powerful than mere soldiers.

These guys need to have quests to achieve, and that feeling of being part of a wider narrative – this isn’t ‘just another wargame’, where you line up and fight. There are random events, enemies with their own AI behaviours, side-quests and narrative missions (we’ll be delving even further into narrative play with forthcoming supplements). And, of course, you can customise your heroes with a huge range of weapons, armour, amulets, and spells, because we all know a hero is only as good as their inventory, right?

S: If you could write for a game in any IP, setting, or time period, what would it be?

M: In terms of IP, I’ve pretty much got all the bases covered now I think! I worked all-too briefly on the Marvel Universe game, and I’d love another crack at that given half a chance. Other than that, I love games with dark, supernatural themes – some kind of Victorian occult skirmish or medieval horror would be right up my street.

Making a game like that commercially viable, however, is a challenge several publishers have found very tricky. One day…

S: What advice would you give to those who want to break into games design and writing themselves?

M: I think a lot of guys want instant success in this industry. Everyone thinks they can write a game, and lots of young hopefuls are willing to do it cheap, or free, which just leads to a flood of games on the market, not all of which are actually good. Some people think they can go on a course and then just start pitching board game ideas, which is notoriously difficult. My advice has always been to learn your craft, and spend time doing so. If I hadn’t spent fourteen years at Games Workshop learning from the best, I wouldn’t have half the skills I have now. Sure, I was lucky with some early successes, but if I wrote Legends of the Old West today, for example, it would be a very different game.

You don’t have to spend as long as me doing it, by the way – I took a fairly circuitous path into design - but the principle stands. So: play lots of games, get a job in the industry, be willing to work hard and even to start at the bottom. It’ll equip you not only with the technical skills you need, but also the team-working and time management skills required to be a successful freelancer.

rappelez moi le nombre d’années de retard pour siege of the citadel

Siege of the citadel je ne sais pas, mais Infinity rpg, j’en suis à 3 ans (ok, on commence à en voir le bout).

Pour SotC, c’était pas faute d’avoir prévenu ici, mais on m’avait répondu que pour Conan rpg c’était en train de bien se passer tousse.

Ceci dit, pour la défense de Modiphius, le infinity rpg est excellent, et ils arrêtent de faire du ks, qui je suppose n’est pas une plateforme idéale pour eux, et c’est très bien qu’ils s’en rendent compte.

Ils avaient également pris leur temps sur Achtung Cthulhu (euphémisme…).

Par contre ce serait pas mal qu’ils commencent à parler un peu du jeu aussi… parce que pour le moment on ne sait pas trop grand chose.

Here is a first look at our The Elder Scrolls: Call to Arms wave 1 sets. These are pre-production resin miniatures of Draugr, Skeletons, Imperials and Stormcloaks all ready to command.

[attachment file=472094]
[attachment file=472093]
[attachment file=472092]
[attachment file=472091]

ca manque de fleche dans le genou tout ca =p

Quelques photos des demos à Essen

[attachment file=507075]
[attachment file=507076]
[attachment file=507077]

En tout cas ce sont des personnes de goûts pour les décors ! C’est du Battle System non ?

Oui ça ressemble bien à du Battle System.

EDIT: une preview du jeu vient de paraître

The Elder Scrolls: Call to Arms preview - a tabletop adventure worth taking

We went hands-on with The Elder Scrolls: Call to Arms tabletop wargame, and it's a worthy spin-off of Skyrim.

In Skyrim, bards sing about mighty heroes and deeds from long ago. They wouldn’t spend long on my adventurers from Elder Scrolls: Call to Arms, though. I’d like to say I was doing well in the tabletop wargame (complete with models, armies, and monsters), but that’d be a lie. And not in the ‹ exaggerating for effect › sort of way. My miniature Dragonborn and Imperial Battlemage had been beaten so badly that anything written about them would have to be a comedy. However, this didn’t dull my enjoyment of the upcoming game from Modiphius Entertainment. If anything, it only enhanced my experience. Elder Scrolls: Call to Arms is about telling a good story, and the tales you’ll walk away with are worth remembering.

Tabletop adventures

Our wait for The Elder Scrolls 6 grinds on with no end in sight, so Elder Scrolls: Call to Arms aims to fill that adventure-shaped void. A successor to Modiphius' Fallout: Wasteland Warfare game, you'll take command of warriors stuck in the middle of Skyrim's civil war. That means the Imperial army, Stormcloak rebels, rotting undead, and heroes like the Dragonborn or Lydia are yours to command (even in miniature form, she's sworn to carry your burdens). While you can go head-to-head with a friend, the interesting wrinkle is a third, AI-controlled squad that's basically there to wreck your sh**. The culprits in this case are Draughr, Skyrim's Norse-inspired zombies who hang out in barrows and cause mischief for anyone plundering them. In a similar vein, 'narrative events' alter the flow of battle to keep you on your toes. That unpredictable nature helps Elder Scrolls: Call to Arms emulate the franchise's famous sandbox gameplay. What's more, this differentiates it from other tabletop mainstays like Warhammer or Warhammer 40K.

Yes, those who’ve tried Games Workshop’s offerings in the past will feel right at home here. Armies of models cross swords on a miniature battlefield, and you can paint them in any way you choose. All the same, Elder Scrolls: Call to Arms isn’t limited to skirmishes between armies. Modiphius were keen to emphasise the term ‹ narrative wargaming › during my visit to its London office, and that’s not baseless hype. In fact, there are a couple of modes at play here. Beside traditional versus, there are also connected campaign missions and single-player ‹ Delves ›. The latter is a good old fashioned dungeon crawl, and it’s one of the most intriguing ideas being introduced by the game.

Delve missions are inspired by the main storyline of Skyrim, but they also feature additional side-quests, randomised events, loot drops, and other modifiers to give you a unique experience each time you play. What’s more, you can earn yourself extra points by completing one of several pre-selected ‹ Boasts › before the match begins (complete your objective in five turns, for instance). When combined with the often-amusing mishaps that arise from the moment-to-moment play, Elder Scrolls: Call to Arms becomes something very memorable indeed. For example, the game’s designers and I had spent a while discussing why my Imperial Battlemage was a Very Big Deal when it came to Destruction magic. Namely, she could dual-wield handfuls of fiery death. That’s what I thought, anyway. Sadly for me and Imperial pride, she missed every single shot before dying an inglorious death at the hands of a minion. And my Dragonborn? The thought of looting every treasure chest was all too tempting, so I may have gotten distracted in my quest for shinies. Basically, it was a laugh and I thoroughly enjoyed the experience despite my lack of success.

Lone Wanderer

Before you judge me, there was also a good reason for such kleptomania. My pre-game Boast had been to open every single treasure chest, and doing so would give me bonus Victory Points (which are otherwise earned by killing foes or completing objectives). Getting more of those is a big deal; Victory Points are used to level up your characters for the duration of the game. It's just another layer that makes Elder Scrolls: Call to Arms more engaging.

Similarly, there are many different ways to reach your goal. You can try a sneakier approach or go charging around like a bull in a china-shop. You can swap out other items from your inventory or use Dragon Shouts if you’re the Dragonborn. Want to dual-wield a pair of daggers? Go ahead. Prefer using a bow and arrow? Be our guest. You can basically play however you want to.

What’s more, players can boost their attacks with stamina or magicka, just like in the video game. And that’s the best bit about Elder Scrolls: Call to Arms; it translates Skyrim into tabletop form. There are even event cards where you’ll be told that « Khajiit has wares ». However, the thing that’s the most ‹ Elder Scrolls › of all is your ability to play this tabletop game solo. It manages this via enemy units whose moves are decided by dice roll and a list of possible actions (you’ll then move them as per the result). To spice things up, each foe has been given its own temperament, preference, and class. For example, melee-focused models are overconfident and will normally charge towards the nearest hero wherever possible. Meanwhile, ranged units prefer to keep their distance and pepper foes with arrows from behind cover. Concerned about this being too easy? Don’t worry – my preview was a solo mission, and I still lost.

The Elder Scrolls: Call to Arms’ campaign is similar. It’s separate to Delve mode and consists of scripted, narrative-driven battles. The outcome of each conflict will influence later quests, and you can even claim a settlement in the process. Any resources you collect will help you build up its defences over time, and it may be attacked while you’re out on a mission. This level of interconnectivity is normally reserved for the best tabletop RPGs, so seeing it here is exciting.

It may be a hint of what’s to come, too. Fallout: Wasteland Warfare recently received a TRPG update that lets you run your own Dungeons & Dragons-style adventures in post-apocalyptic America, so I can’t help but wonder if Elder Scrolls: Call to Arms will follow suit. A D&D-style expansion set in the Elder Scrolls universe? We can but hope.

In short, The Elder Scrolls: Call to Arms is shaping up very nicely. I came away from my match eager to play more, and that’s good news for fans of Bethesda games – they don’t have to wait as long as The Elder Scrolls 6 or Starfield to get their next big RPG fix.

ESSENTIAL INFO

Genre: Tabletop wargame
Players:
1-4
Time to play: 60 mins
Set-up time: 5-10 mins
Developer: Modiphius Entertainment
Release Date: Early 2020

Les dernières infos, contenus et prix ont été dévoilées par Modiphius

December 23, 2019

Development Blog #1: The Armies Assemble…

Gavin Dady, Senior Line Manager on Elder Scrolls: Call to Arms, discusses everything you can look forward to getting on the launch of Elder Scrolls: Call to Arms

In this development blog I’m going to look at the products that we’ll be providing for the Launch of Elder Scrolls A Call to Arms and the core faction sets for our first chapter, Civil War due out late March 2020.

We wanted to ensure that the starting line-up had all the rules, tokens, cards and dice in one place to get you started with the game. We also wanted to include a good selection of scenarios and some simple campaign rules. The Elder Scrolls Rules box provides all of this, with a 104 page rulebook, 44 page Quests book (with 12 missions) and a 16-page introduction that places you in the opening scenes of Skyrim - Escape from Helgen. The boxed set also includes more than 220 cards, two sheets of die cut tokens and a full set of 13 dice.

The Core Rules Box will retail for £35.00, $45.00 and €40.00

Now that we have the rules covered, we looked at the iconic characters that would allow you to enjoy all modes of play. Originally, we were looking at a larger box with PVC miniatures, like the Fallout starter set. But, feedback from the Fallout indicated that there was a strong faction loyalty and a desire to collect and play individual factions from the start, rather than having a varied selection of figures. Many people had asked for a faction starter set and rules bundle. Couple this with some exciting developments in High Impact Polystyrene (HIPS) and we started to see that we could make faction-specific starter sets and a separate rule box a reality.

But, what to put in our faction boxes?

BLEAK FALLS BARROW DELVE SET

For solo and co-op delves the Dragonborn is obviously a no-brainer. What would Skyrim be without the Dhovakin? We also need some opponents for the hero of Skyrim, so we’ve included three Skeleton Archers, three Draugr Warriors and a fearsome Draugr Overlord to lead them into battle. These form our Minions, Elite and Master adversaries which are also used in player vs player games. This set of 8 figures comprise our Bleak Fall Barrow Delve set.

The Plastic Delve box will be £27.00, $36.00 and €32.00.

Elder Srcolls Call to Arms Bleak Falls Barrow Delve Starter Set

IMPERIAL LEGION FACTION STARTER SET

For the Imperial forces we have a five-figure faction core set. Hadvar, Hero of Helgen, leads the set. He’s an incredibly tough opponent and has a special ability that bolsters the defensive abilities of any Imperials nearby.

Accompanying Hadvar is the Imperial Spellsword. She has destruction magic mastery, which means she’s more accurate with her destruction spells, and we’ve had enormous fun flinging Fireballs and Flames around the battlefield. As a Legion soldier, she’s also proficient with one handed weapons, so she lives up to her Spellsword name.

The Imperials are then rounded out by three Imperial Legionnaires. These are good, solid, multipurpose troops with decent damage and protection. They work best when they act as a unit and stay close to Hadvar to benefit from his abilities. As a bonus you can use Imperials as one of the AI forces in the game in solo, battle and co-op modes.

The Imperial Faction Core will be £25.00, $33.00 and €30.00 in plastic

Elder Scrolls Call to Arms Imperial Legion Box

STORMCLOAK FACTION STARTER SET

To oppose the Imperials, the Stormcloaks have five true sons and daughters of Skyrim. Yrsarald Thrice Pierced leads the Stormcloak forces. He is a true combat monster and has abilities that can make him terrifying in combat, preventing enemies from engaging him and allowing him to pick apart enemy formations piecemeal. He also has the Wind Walker ability, allowing him to regenerate his Stamina faster than other models, meaning he can use the game-changing Boost actions more often. Supporting Yrsarald is another veteran of the dragon attack at Helgen, Ralof, Warrior of the Resistance. Ralof is a handy, multirole character effective with both ranged and melee weapons who is also able to sneak and pick locks. Ralof can swap between an equipped bow or a single-handed weapon at will and benefits from his Fighting Stance which grants extra accuracy with melee weapons when attacking from a Ready Action.

Three Warriors with Greatswords complete the Stormcloak forces. Stormcloak Warriors are hard hitting troops but are not as resilient as their Imperial counterparts. They are best use aggressively with Yrsarald to strike hard, whilst Ralof skirts the battlefield securing objectives or takes advantage of cover and concealment to pick off enemies through stealth attacks. Additionally Stormcloaks can be used as AI adversaries in solo, battle and co-op modes.

The Stormcloak Faction Core will be £25.00, $33.00 and €30.00 in plastic.

Elder Scrolls Call to Arms Stormcloak Faction Starter Set

These multi-part hard plastic sets will all be available in your friendly local gaming store from late March, as well as the Modiphius website. We’ll also be offering resin collectors sets in limited quantities for each release. Watch out for news of further releases and scenics.

In the next post we will look at what you can expect to see in the coming months for the rest of the Civil War chapter releases.

Ce sera pour très bientôt via Legion Distribution

Legion Distribution
En précommande sous peu dans vos boutique !
Plus d’informations à venir la semaine prochaine

Edit: la qualité des figs de la pre-prod ! ^^

Je viens de voir que la série Elder scrolls allait avoir son adaptation en jeu de societe. J’espère qu’il sera à la hauteur du jeu video (toute proportion gardée).

Comme c’est un narratif, peu de chance d’avoir une VF un jour j’imagine…