Forsaken - par Game Trayz Lab - livraison décembre 2023

Nouvelle update pour commencer l’année avec l’ouverture du PM pour le vendredi 13 et les ajustements de prix pour le shipping (mais pas pour notre zone)…

Update #32 - January 2023 - First Friday Update

Hello and happy New Year everyone! I hope you had a fantastic set of holidays, and you’re ready to hear allllllll about our progress on Forsaken! First things first, our project overview:

The Forsaken Pledge Manager Opens on Friday the 13th!

At long last, we have a date for the launch of our pledge manager! For those unfamiliar, the pledge manager is a third party service commonly used after crowdfunding campaigns where you can log in and…well… manage your pledge. It lets you update your personal and shipping information, make late pledges, and even add or remove items from your pledge.

The pledge manager will remain open for as long as we can keep it: likely until we need to finalize our order quantity with the manufacturer this summer. It’s critically important for every backer to log in to the pledge manager before it closes and lock in their pledge, or else you may end up receiving a refund instead of your game! Don’t worry though—we’ll send out billions of reminders.

We’ll be blasting that link this coming Friday, January the 13th on every channel we have, including through another kickstarter update. And before you take your first look at the PM, I want to give you a heads up on a few things to expect: some good, and some bad.

1. An exciting lineup of supplemental products will be available for purchase! - Hey, let’s start with the good news! We’ve handpicked a few additional Game Trayz products that we’re going to make available through the pledge manager, and this may be the first time they’re available to (affordably) ship to your country. This includes a few of the standard Trayz that are available through our main website, but it also includes a special set of custom sleeves in quantities and sizes that we can guarantee will fit both the cards and the storage.

2. We’ve updated our shipping rates - Now for the bad news. Over the last few months, we’ve been honing in on more exact product weight and dimensions and getting more detailed quotes. We’ve adjusted our rates for some shipping zones to reflect the best and most up-to-date information we have available.

Specifically, here’s what you can expect to see on those shipping rates. (Refer to the main KS page to determine your country’s shipping zone).

On a personal note, I hate this, and I was deeply hoping it wouldn’t be necessary. We even considered just eating more of the shipping costs to avoid rocking the boat, and to maintain our good relationship with our followers. Even though this rate increase hasn’t departed from the promises we made to you during the campaign, shipping is already uncomfortably expensive for everyone, and I realize this is not going to create any good feelings.

We agonized over this decision, but ultimately landed here because we know the stakes. I’m familiar enough with the process to recognize these numbers as an existential threat, and I’ve known too many earnest creators that have ended up in the red on amazing projects because of avoidable shipping fiascos, If I’m being honest, I’m absolutely terrified of that happening to us. I love you all for backing Forsaken, and I want to spare you any discomfort that I possibly can, but I also love to make games, and I want to have the option of continuing to do that.

I hope that you want us to keep making games as well. This is how we get there.

In particular, I’d like to apologize to our backers in New Zealand. Some of you asked why shipping to NZ was relatively low in the comments, and I realized after our launch that we listed NZ in the wrong zone. We’re sticking to our promise not to increase rates beyond 20% of what we showed in the Kickstarter, but we did push it all the way to the limit there.

Development and QA Update

Hey, you’re probably here to read about more than shipping rates and pledge managers. Let’s talk about our progress on the game itself!

Overall, our pace of work has been excellent—especially considering the holidays. Travis and I have been grinding away. There’s a point in a big project like this where the team starts to get very good not just at designing, but designing that project, and that’s where we’re at right now. We’ve gotten very good at making Forsaken, and the result of that is that we’ve become effective in finding all the squeaky wheels and applying the right fixes.

Our original goal was to complete all development for the new content by the end of December. While we’re virtually there, we still have a few of the characters and modules that are under-tested, and I’m not comfortable checking this off until we’ve locked those in.

Since we can’t run our final QA series until this is finished, that means the time we spend here is pushing the timeline. I think we can expect the built-in padding in our timeline to absorb this, but we won’t know the full impact for sure until later this summer.

Writing, Now with Voice and Tone!

One of the benefits of this extra development time is that it’s created a pocket for some rewrites. In testing, we found that some of the characters just felt more alive than others. For example, take this introduction to Killquick Quipsallak’s story (Note that these card images are not final):

Now, compare it to this introduction to Nyne’s story:

The first one is kinda fun to read, and it shows you who Killquick is. The second one is kinda dry, and it tells you who Nyne is.

Well, Nyne is a whole and complete person (with a chainsaw arm), and she deserves better than that. She’s one of the characters we’re aiming to rewrite with a better and more personalized tone. For a game that’s so driven by its weird and unique characters, that’s super important to us.

This set of rewrites is using the same window of time as the development extension, so we don’t expect it to have any further impact on the timeline.

For the rest of the writing, we’re pleased to report that things are coming along very nicely. In testing, we’ve been focusing heavily on the newest encounters and stories, and this final batch of content has been honestly unhinged in all the best ways. In a single session of Forsaken, you can:

• Shrink an alien down, store him inside your body, and smuggle him into the clinic for a heist.
  • Marry a Marriage Pod, who has found themselves stranded on Thyrria after their spouse met with an untimely decapitation.
  • Impersonate a cruel deity before the simple-minded Boffle Treefolk, ushering in a new age of blood and pain.
  • Get a very bad tattoo.
  • Adopt a Chitterwig named Chonky.
  • Help an ex-pit-fighter named Gog run for mayor, and maybe even help him find a shirt to wear.
  • Play an exhilarating round of Six Dice Yum Yum.
  • Sign a record deal with Jagga Rawk, keytarist extraordinaire.
  • …and more!

It’s been a lot of fun watching players navigate their way through these weird and memorable situations, and I’m excited for y’all to experience that!

A Promo and a FREE BOUNTY!

The Dice Tower is hosting their annual fundraising Kickstarter soon, and Game Trayz Lab is going to be part of it! Backers that support the Dice Tower Kickstarter at the « Promo Pack Archer » tier will receive a Bounty card featuring infamous intergalactic villain Vom Tasel! We just lined this up this week, and illustrator Naomi Robinson has already shared an awesome draft of the art. I can’t stop laughing at the fact that his alien head is hat-shaped.

But here’s some good news for everyone: if you don’t back the Dice Tower kickstarter, don’t worry about missing Forsaken game content. We thought it might rub backers the wrong way if we gave away Forsaken content that all-in backers would need to track down elsewhere, so we’ll be adding one additional bounty card to every copy of Forsaken above and beyond the components outlined in the Kickstarter campaign. The « Vom Tasel » promo will just be an alternate art version of this new bounty card.

That’s all I have to share for now, but I’ll be back again next week with a reminder about the pledge manager. Thanks for reading!

• Mike and the Forsaken team

Le PM est ouvert, pour le moment je suis parti sur la boite de base uniquement, un peu de mal je dois dire pour voir si une extension vaudrait le coup !

Perso je suis tellement dans le train de la hype ce sera sûrement un all in

alors que moi, la hype ne prends vraiment pas, mais ça a l’air bien du coup boite de base… mais je suis tiédou sur ce coup :roll_eyes:

Toujours pas de vf de prévue ?

Petit CR après un playtest sur TTS. Spoil : I love this game <3

5 « J'aime »

Merci pour ce CR, mais quel dommage que le jeu ne soit pas traduit… :sob:

1 « J'aime »

Pinaise…!

merci également pour le CR, ça vient à point nommé pour me décider à compléter mon pledge

1 « J'aime »

Oui effectivement, si on ne comprend pas la langue de Shakespeare on passe complètement à côté du jeu, cela n’a plus beaucoup d’intérêt à mon sens.

2 « J'aime »

Je trouvais que dans sa description le jeu se rapprochait un peu de SW Bordure extérieure, tu es d’accord ou je suis complètement a coté de la plaque ?

Je ne connais SW bordure extérieur que de réputation, mais outre le fait qu’on incarne des genre de bounty (à mitiger, car en fait il n’y a pas de bon ou de méchant, on peut faire ce qu’on veut, et travailler/recup influence pour 3 factions différentes qui peuvent alimenter notre moteur à PV), qu’il y a des jobs avec des choses variées à accomplir, on est loin du simple pick up & delivery.

L’aspect narratif de Forsaken me semble bien plus poussé. Chaque personnage a un arc narratif à découvrir (et redecouvrir car il y a plusieurs embranchements), et le monde peut évoluer en fonction de nos décisions à chaque rencontre (volet organique). Il y a un énorme livre d’ encounter. Et ce qui est le fun c’est que tu peux décider de laisser complètement de côté ton arc narratif si tu le veux, il y a pleins d’autres manières de faire des PV. Ya pas de chemin pré défini. Du pur sandbox, qui permet de vivre une aventure! Gagne ou perdre à la limite c’est secondaire, la pression des PV force un peu l’esprit de compétition pour essayer de comboter, et personnellement je trouve que cette composante euro-narratif est extrêmement bien explorée. Les mécaniques sont au service de la thématique, les actions font du sens.

Sur bgg Forsaken est souvent comparé à Western Legend, mais malheureusement je ne connais pas le jeu.

Objectivement, si tu veux te faire ton idée, je te suggère de regarder une vidéo de gameplay. Même sans les finir en quelques tours tu as un très bon aperçu du potentiel du jeu.

2 « J'aime »

Merci beaucoup pour ta réponse hyper complète !

Je vais suivre ton conseil et aller regarder une vidéo je pense

1 « J'aime »

A défaut de trouver quelqu’un dans le sud, est-ce que quelqu’un sur Paris a pledgé et pourrait me prendre un add-on « X-Trayz and Y-Trayz Sample Pack » ?

Tu penses qu’il finira localisé mais sans ces extensions ?

En fait l’add-on dont je parle c’est ça

2 « J'aime »

Effectivement ça a l’air pas mal pratique! :smirk:

Même si ça n’a rien à voir… :see_no_evil:

Nouvelle update avec la roadmap pour Forsaken mais aussi pour les projets de 2024 dont une nouvelle campagne pour Forsaken (mais pas avant que celui-ci soit livré)…

Update #42 - May 2023 - First Friday Update

Another fantastic month!

Hey everyone! Mike here with the first Friday update, and the tl;dr is: everything’s still on track and coming along nicely.

We closed our final round of late stage QA testing this past month and dug in to the last set of tasks before we can submit everything to our manufacturer.

So, what’s left? Here’s a summary:

• Editing - Our editors are full steam ahead on taking the final form of the game and touching up the language and writing. They’ve already churned through the rulebook and most of the cards, leaving just the encounter guide.
  • Graphics - Final touch-ups to our graphic assets, a few last minute tasks, and final exports.
  • Trayz - Noah has humbly requested he be allowed to tinker right up until the very last minute to make sure our inserts are as rad as possible.

The only wild card here is the editorial process for the Encounter Guide. This guide is basically a book, and currently has more than 200 all-text 8.5x11" pages. It will definitely be time-consuming to edit, and we can’t start the graphics team on that document until the text is locked in.

To make up for this, we’re looking to send assets to the manufacturer in waves. We’ll send everything else in the first wave, and then let them know there’s still a 200-page book coming later on. In my experience, this won’t lead to any delays (as long as we can get the files to them before they head to the press, which I don’t expect to be any problem at all).

Hello, welcome to the update intermission, wherein I share a beautiful hand-crafted .png to help everyone remember that the pledge manager isn’t closing any time soon.

Now, back to your regularly-scheduled update.

What’s Next for Game Trayz Lab?

The closer we get to our asset submission date, the more my personal task load has tapered off. Now that I don’t have a huge book to write or a beta test series to run, I finally have a little room to breathe and start looking to the future.

Before I dig in to the next couple of paragraphs, I want to reassure everyone that Game Trayz Lab will not be returning to Kickstarter with anything until after we’ve begun the fulfillment process for Forsaken! I personally don’t like the idea of companies launching new campaigns while other projects haven’t fulfilled yet. While I recognize that it’s impractical to run a company at scale with only one release every X months, I also feel like it’s important for our new studio to prove a solid track record before we even think about going down that road.

With that said, we’re starting to plan out our road map for 2024 and beyond. Here’s a sneak peek!

• To the surprise of probably absolutely nobody, we’re already looking at a campaign for more content for Forsaken. I have zero details yet and therefore will have no answers for anyone, but this is a super robust game system that’s built an audience and I think we’d be silly not to go back to that well.
  • Over the last year, we’ve been taking pitches to establish a line of direct-to-retail light strategy games in the Game Trayz Lab brand: $40-$60 MSRP games that use thermoform plastics in a way that’s irreplaceable and central to play. This is a product line that we can put out concurrently with our big-box Kickstarter projects.

We’ll share more details on these concepts in the coming months, but I’d love to hear your thoughts! What kind of content would you like to see added to Forsaken? And what kinds of games are you most excited to see from Game Trayz Lab?

Thanks for reading! I’ll see you again in June with some more spicy updates.

• Mike

A french translation ? :sweat_smile:

10 « J'aime »

Les choses avancent toujours aussi tranquillement… mais sûrement

Update #55 - April 2024 - First Friday Update

Our First Print Samples Have Arrived!

Hey everybody! Mike here, and I’m not even burying the lede this time! Let’s dive right in.

Earlier this year, I mentioned that Noah had a trip to China scheduled to visit our manufacturing partners at Longpack. He just got back from that trip this week, and he brought home plenty of goodies for us!

But first, let’s rewind a bit. After last month’s update, we were still working on our punchboard exports. In January and February, we had received several revision requests regarding our content margins being too close to our die cut lines. We spent entirely too much time durdling over those and fixing problems that shouldn’t have existed in the first place, but we finally got those problems straightened out in early March.

At this stage, I wasn’t feeling great about our timeline. Even though these fixes were in the fine details and most everything else was all ready to go, I knew we’d already burned through all of our spare time. Every email exchange and graphics update was pushing out fulfillment by exactly that many days, and that’s not a situation I like to be in. Worse, I knew that the leap from print proofs to a production proof could take a month or more.

BUT, Longpack really came through for us. Since Noah was visiting Shanghai, they wanted to put together everything they could in time for his visit. During his trip to the factory, Noah saw and approved all of our Trayz and plastics, and he picked up a nice juicy almost-complete set of production samples!

I’m going to share a few (chaotic) pictures here, but they come with a heavy disclaimer: Noah air-mailed the production proof set back to himself at home, and they only just arrived this afternoon. We went over everything on a video call and he sent this bundle of photos, then he had to run off and do real life Noah-things. In a lot of the photos he staged, there are an inexplicable mix of components from the production proof and components from the old old prototype. I’ve asked him for some better photos, but unfortunately he won’t be able to get those to me today. I’ll share more photos as they come in over the next day or two.

In the meantime, the caption for each photo will mention which pieces are new and which ones are old. So, without further adieu:

These are our final punchboards for 4 of the 6 characters in the core box. The Trayz are from the production proof, but the proof’s plastic is just a placeholder black. Our final will be the same shade of gray that you see elsewhere on the KS page and rulebook.Ignore the huge stack of gray Trayz in the top right corner and the Moon Tray in the top left corner! Those are from the old prototype.

A close-up view of the final punchboards and player tray. (Again, note that the proof’s player trayz are black as a placeholder sample–the final plastics for the player trayz will be brown to match with the color palette here).

The final dice tray base!The job cards and tokens slotted into the player tray in the background are from the old prototype.

This is the final punchboard for the Mycoid Verge board, and the final Bounty tray.The arrow tracker attached to the Bounty tray is white in the production proof just as a placeholder to show us the sample, but the final will be red (as shown on the Kickstarter page).The actual Meeb Mayhem Bounty card is from the old prototype, complete with bad vertical alignment and a typo in the text box! :sweat_smile:

Page 3 of the final rulebook! A nice lil component spread.The Grash board and tray are final, but all the other components slotted into the tray are old (including the job cards, the boost/vision tokens, and the resource cubes).

The spiral-bound encounter guide, dice tower, dice, Mandorax board, Port Ambition moon board, and player tray are all finals. Note that Noah left out two of the punchboard pieces in the dice tower.Old material here include the job cards, all the tokens in the player tray, the resource cubes, and the gray trackers slotted into the player tray. Also, I that Port Ambition moon tray is the old 3D printed version from the ancient prototype.

A totally random picture of some of the sealed card sets in the base game.

Thank you for bearing with me through these pretty chaotic pictures. Normally I’d just wait and share a more clear picture of the production proof, but I wanted to share something concrete in today’s first Friday update.

I’ll be back this week with some better visuals, and also hopefully some cool pictures from inside the actual factory! I can only assume the reason Noah hasn’t shared those pictures already is because he’s in the witness protection program.

The Verdict

As I mentioned, Noah and I ran through the production proof on a video call, and overall I’m very happy with what we’ve seen so far.

My specific notes are:

• Partial Proof - The production sample is just what Longpack was able to put together in time for Noah’s visit. It’s missing a few pieces that we’ll still need to approve as they come in, and the Lab Limited box is still in progress.
  • Game Box - The game box sample we received is just a white sample, but the white sample is marvelous. With so many components and storage solutions, our final box size was still up in the air. Now we’re ready to lock in our box specs, which was our last dangling product task in-house.
  • Punchboard - The quality and cut on the punchboard looks perfect. I have no notes so far on what I’ve seen, but I’ll still need to go through and do a full inventory once the samples arrive at my house.
  • Cards - The card quality and look has exceeded my personal expectations, and I’m very happy with everything I’ve seen so far. The card depth is also consistent down to the hundredth of a millimeter, which means they’ll fit perfectly in our Trayz. I have no notes on these, but again I’ll run an full inventory once I have my hands on the samples.
  • Dice - Perfect. No notes.
  • Plastics - Perfect. No notes.
  • Encounter Guide, Rules Manual - The rules manual looks perfect. The encounter guide looks like the content is hugging the top margin a bit more closely than I expected, but if we decide to act on that then it’ll be an easy fix. Other than that, no notes!
  • Dice Tower - This one was a big one. I was sure that making the tower was going to be an iterative process because the physics there are super important. If the dice come out a little too fast or a little too slow, the whole game is thrown out of whack. BUT, all of the copies of the Dice Tower we received in the print sample work beautifully. The punchboard fits together nice and snug, the angles are spot on, and the tests we’re running have perfectly hit our goal for the dice probabilities. Noah and Longpack nailed this in one shot!

I haven’t seen anything yet that makes me feel like we’ll need any revisions, and I’m eager to get my hands on the rest so we can move forward to mass production!

Regarding timeline, we were definitely falling farther and farther behind in January and February as our assets languished in revision hell. However, even this partial production sample represents a solid recovery. As long as we keep up this pace, we can make up for some lost time, but otherwise we’re still looking at fulfillment spilling into Q3.

Until Next Time

Thanks everyone for reading! I’ll be back as soon as I can with a better spread of pictures.

3 « J'aime »